Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.
By Dennis Schnitzler 11 October 2020 | 18:24
Max Verstappen is very happy with his second place in the Grand Prix of the Eifel. Although the Dutchman could not keep up with Lewis Hamilton, he went home with the fastest lap. After the race he is a bit critical of the safety car, which he thinks took far too long.
"It was generally a good race," says Verstappen immediately after the race. "I tried to follow Lewis, while Vatteri dropped out of the race of course. The speed was good, we drove our own race, but they were too fast".
"It was very dangerous with the cold tires"
"The conditions at the Nürburgring were a bit treacherous and that was mainly due to the cold," Verstappen explains. "The track is of course very cold and the tires were cold from the moment I drove out of the pit box".
So the nine-time race winner doesn't understand why the safety car , caused by the engine failure of Lando Norris, lasted about five laps." I don't understand why the safety car stayed on the track for so long, because the car was already gone. I understand you want the field a bit closer together, but it was very dangerous with the cold tires. We finished second, where we belong, and that's the most important thing". (Photo: Red Bull Content Pool / Getty Images)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.