Jumbo top executive on support Verstappen: "Needed to talk a lot internally"
By Robert McGillivray 19 September 2020 | 02:40
Jumbo top executive Frits van Eerd admits that the sponsorship of racing talents such as Max Verstappen and Rinus van Kalmthout is not self-evident. Van Eerd indicates that there was a discussion within Jumbo about the marketing plan that also concerned the Red Bull Racing talent.
"I had to talk a lot about this internally", Van Eerd says in conversation with RTL News. In particular, the relevance of Formula 1 for the Dutch supermarket giant was questioned at the company: "What does a supermarket chain have to do with Formula 1?"
"As a no-nonsense company, how are we going to combine these two things?", says Van Eerd. Yet he got Jumbo to support the drivers: "It's not about Formula 1, it's about supporting talents and grabbing people who can really do something and are so special".
"If you can contribute to that, it symbolises our DNA", he continues. That's the main reason his company decided to play a role in the lives of the drivers: "Doing business together and winning. And winning, that's what our top athletes do". (Photo: Red Bull Content Pool/Getty Images)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.