Verstappen: "When we find the issue, we can take parts with us"
By Robert McGillivray 22 July 2020 | 09:21
There's optimism at Red Bull Racing. Max Verstappen and team boss Christian Horner think that once Red Bull has found the issue, updates can be introduced immediately. It's all right with the speed during the race.
"I think it's going to be difficult to beat Mercedes", says Verstappen via Sky Sports F1. "That's why we now have to focus on where it went wrong, we have to put that right first." Verstappen, in Hungary in particular, missed balance in the Red Bull car.
The Dutchman continues: "We have to correct those mistakes and we have to get the team back on track. As soon as this is done you can take a lot of new parts with you. First, however, we're going to look at what the car's critical problem is".
Horner praising race speed
Horner also sees the future in a positive light. In Milton Keynes, the team is now working hard to process the information from the past weekends: "We have two weeks to turn the data into performance for Silverstone."
"There are parts of the circuits where we are doing well and parts where - compared to Mercedes - we are losing too much time". In the slower corners, Red Bull has been able to make up for a lot of time, the fast corners and the long straights are Mercedes territory for the time being.
During the race, however, Red Bull's time is always better than in qualifying. This hasn't escaped the Brit's attention: "In the race that compresses, but we need to do a better job."
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"