Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
By Dennis Schnitzler 12 October 2020 | 09:58
Helmut Marko did have contact with Sebastian Vettel for a seat at Red Bull. Next season the German will be driving for Aston Martin, the current Racing Point. But if it had been up to Marko, Vettel would have raced for his team in 2022.
"I've given him a proposal for a gap year," Marko says in AvD Motorsport Magazine at Sport1.de. In the end Vettel didn't accept that proposal. "I think there will be some free seats in 2022, but he wanted to drive and chose Aston Martin," says the Red Bull advisor.
Albon under high pressure at Red Bull
At the moment Red Bull is with the driver duo Max Verstappen-Alexander Albon, of which the latter is under high pressure. Marko and Christian Horner say they still have faith in the services of the Thai, but the patience of the Austrians will run out one day. There are rumours that Red Bull could join forces with Sergio Perez. (Photo: Red Bull Content Pool/Getty Images)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.