Abiteboul confirms talks with Red Bull: "It was more of an introduction"
By Tomas Mota 11 October 2020 | 17:01
Renault is in talks with Red Bull Racing about a possible cooperation from 2022 onwards. Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul, however, does not want to say much about the content of the deal. He doesn't think it has to mean much.
According to the Frenchman, who told Sky Sports about the meeting, it was mainly an introductory meeting between Luca de Meo, who has been chairman of the car brand since July 2020, Helmut Marko and Christian Horner.
However, it was nothing more than that. "It was just a neutral conversation", says Abiteboul. "Luca has only just become CEO of Renault. It was the first time he spoke with Red Bull Racing. You should see it more as an introductory meeting."
Red Bull Racing has to look for a new engine supplier, because Honda announced in early October that it will say goodbye to Formula 1 in 2022. Next year, the Japanese manufacturer will still be a partner of the Austrian racing team, but starting in 2022 a new partnership must settled with another engine supplier. (photo: Red Bull Content Pool / Getty Images)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.