Wolff closes the door for Verstappen: "I did not expect anything else"
By Tomas Mota 10 October 2020 | 22:45
If it were up to Toto Wolff, we won't see Max Verstappen shining in a Mercedes car. Verstappen is potentially out there for the taking, after the exit of Honda from Formula 1, but the Dutchman does not see an easy way in to get to work at Mercedes. Wolff thinks that Verstappen will remain with Red Bull after 2021.
"Max has clearly committed himself to Red Bull with his statements", Wolff begins, when asked about the situation surrounding the Red Bull driver. "I think that's true too. He is loyal to the team. If you drive for a certain team, you have to be", the Austrian believes.
"We don't know yet what the future will bring"
With that, Wolff seems to be closing the door for Verstappen. "I didn't expect anything else. I don't expect anything else from our own drivers", said the Mercedes team boss, who explains: "We don't know yet what the future will bring. We are very happy with Valtteri (Bottas) and Lewis (Hamilton)."
"If there is a generation change in the future, then George Russell and Esteban Ocon will be in the starting blocks for a possible role within the team", Wolff continues. "We'll all take that into account." In a few months Hamilton will be 36 years old, Bottas will be 32 next year.
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.