Formula 1: ‘More clarity on Alfa Romeo’s driver duo expected around Christmas’
By Srihari HS 04 October 2020 | 10:00
Lawrence Barretto thinks details about Alfa Romeo driver lineup could become clear by around Christmas. Kimi Raikkonen, Antonio Giovinazzi, Mick Schumacher and Robert Shwartzman seem to be in the running for a spot.
The situation around Raikkonen seems clear. “My sources say he is now leaning towards staying put for another year – something Alfa Romeo are understood to want, with the Finn proving time and time again this year how critical he can be to car development, with the red and white cars showing an upturn in form of late with some successful updates,” said Barretto.
'Schumacher favorite to get second seat'
The focus is mainly on Giovinazzi’s seat. “My sources say Schumacher is the favourite to get the second seat. However, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari are keeping their options open with two race still to go in the F2 championship,” Barretto told Formula1.com.
Barretto expects more clarity around Christmas. “Shwartzman is set for a test in FP1 in Abu Dhabi, with Alfa Romeo expected to run him. It may be we won’t get a final decision, then, until just before Christmas at the earliest,” Barretto concluded. (Photo: Alfa Romeo F1 Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.