Norris after battle with Albon: "The Red Bull is a lot better than our car"
By Moritz Voss 30 September 2020 | 11:38
Lando Norris says he jeopardized his race by trying to keep Alexander Albon behind. The Briton said he was already struggling with a damaged car when he forfeit his tires in an attempt to stay ahead of the Red Bull Racing driver. Norris eventually dropped to 15th position, his worst result so far in 2020.
"I had a good start towards turn two", Norris tells Racefans. "But then I had to avoid a lot of cars that went way too deep. Then I had to avoid a crash that damaged my car. So we had problems throughout the race". The Briton tried to make the best of it, but he was unable to score any points.
"I was in a fight with the Red Bull of Albon", the McLaren driver continues. "They came second with Max Verstappen so that car is a lot better than ours. I had to push a lot and risk trying to keep him behind and I ended up making a mistake and locking up my tires."
Norris: "We did our best"
The Brit called the race in Sochi "very difficult", because the team was not doing well. “We did our best”, he says. "But circumstances just made our race pretty difficult". McLaren did not score any points in Russia and is therefore only two points ahead of Racing Point. The British racing team still holds third place in the constructors' championship. (Photo: McLaren F1 Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.