Abiteboul: "If Alonso raises something, we'll have to listen"
By Robert McGillivray 23 September 2020 | 11:07
Cyril Abiteboul knows that it is serious as soon as Fernando Alonso is back on the team. The two-time world champion sets high standards and Renault is definitely willing to take that extra step in quality for him, according to Abiteboul.
"We are going to work closely with Fernando. I think that when we take more steps with the car next year and when he sees that progress, it will fuel the fire in him," said the Renault team boss in conversation with Auto, Motor und Sport.
However, Abiteboul also knows that the current level will not be enough to keep the temperamental Spaniard happy: "We still have to make more progress during the season".
No excuses for Renault
Of course, Alonso brings with him a huge amount of experience. After years of being active, they will be able to use his feedback, the Frenchman thinks: "We know that when Alonso raises something, we'll have to listen"
In the cooperation with Alonso we can't come up with excuses,' he concludes. Although there was talk beforehand about Alonso wanting to get out of his shoes in public, Abiteboul believes that this will not be a problem for the team. (Photo: Renault Sport Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.