Abiteboul: ‘Ocon must accept that Ricciardo is the benchmark’
By Srihari HS 22 September 2020 | 14:37
Esteban Ocon has returned to Formula 1 after missing an entire season. According to Cyril Abiteboul, the Frenchman is not as good as his teammate Daniel Ricciardo. The Renault team boss hopes there will be some improvement before the end of 2020 season.
“He has to accept that Daniel is the real benchmark in the team,” Abiteboul said via Auto, Motor und Sport. Ricciardo is the better of the two this season: he is seventh with 53 World Cup points, while teammate Ocon is twelfth with 30 points.
The Frenchman still makes mistakes, such as during qualifying at Mugello: where he lost his car because he accelerated too early. “But I can forgive him for this action,” the team boss said. “It shows that he’s attacking, that he wants more. However, he still has to set realistic goals for himself.”
Clear hierarchy at Renault
Abiteboul is happy that Ocon understands his position as the number 2 driver. “I prefer a driver who accepts the hierarchy in the team,” he explained. According to the team boss, the improvement will still come: “At the end of a season I expect a hot battle between our two drivers!” (Photo: Renault Sport Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.