Ocon: "I'm getting closer and closer to Ricciardo"
By Robert McGillivray 18 September 2020 | 01:22
Esteban Ocon is pleased with his performance at Mugello. Throughout the season the driver seems to be performing less than his teammate Daniel Ricciardo. Nevertheless, Ocon emphasises that he is close behind his teammate. In Mugello, the pace of both drivers was almost the same.
"I'm happy with my performance this weekend," Ocon told Formel1.de afterwards. "It should be closer together in the future." The driver had enough problems to solve at the start of the season. "We had problems with the car and how comfortable I feel in it. It was difficult in that respect".
The driver attributes this to the decisions he made when setting up the car. "We certainly had problems. Often I just lost speed on the straights. That cost us two or three races".
Long discussions led to better performance
"We had some long discussions about what could be improved. That paid off last weekend. This time we were very close in qualifying. In the end, it came down to the last lap in Q3, where I pushed myself and the car too hard and made a mistake".
As for the race, it was one to forget for the Frenchman. Due to debris that got stuck in the brake, he had to put his car aside in the end. So as far as the races are concerned, Ocon needs a little more luck. (Photo: Renault Sport F1 Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.