Bond between Norris and performance engineer: "Sometimes he doesn't understand me"
By Robert McGillivray 28 August 2020 | 14:33
Lando Norris has a new performance engineer since the season start. After his strong bond with Andrew Jarvis last year, he now has to build a new one. That doesn't always go well, also because of a language barrier.
The McLaren driver does call it an advantage that he already knows Lopez Garcia, his new engineer, from the past. Yet language is sometimes a problem. "He is Spanish and speaks English very well, but there are still terms that my engineer from last year would have grabbed," explains Norris to Motorsport Total.
Because of this, it takes a bit longer to understand each other. "It all takes a little more time", according to Norris, who knows that Garcia will be fine: "It just takes a while to rebuild that relationship".
What does a performance engineer do in Formula 1?
The performance engineer pays attention to everything that happens between the driver and the car. For example, he looks at exactly when you brake, when you accelerate and how you enter a corner. This allows him to adjust the car to the wishes of the driver. This is extremely important in Formula 1: every tenth of a second can result in a few places. (Photo: McLaren F1 Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.