"Ferrari searched for and found two replacements in the event of an early exit of Vettel"
By Moritz Voss 15 August 2020 | 11:30
The rumors around Sebastian Vettel are boiling up. The German has a contract with Ferrari which will expire after this season and he is going through a dramatic start into the season, with just ten World Cup points after five races. According to Auto BILD, Ferrari considers that Vettel will not even finish the season.
Vettel has been short all year compared to teammate Charles Leclerc. It was the main reason for the complete overhaul of Vettel's chassis, in the hope of helping the four-time world champion to get back on track. If that chassis doesn't suit him well, however, it could just be the end of the Vettel era at Ferrari.
According to the media, Nico Hülkenberg and Kimi Räikkönen are already under consideration as possible replacements for Vettel, if the chassis will not help or if Vettel decides to call it quits. Vettel himself completely denies that he is throwing the towel himself: "That is not the case."
Meanwhile, the chances of a Formula 1 seat in 2021 also seem to be gone. Racing Point driver Sergio Perez spoke with his main financier Carlos Slim. The lender apparently told Perez that conversations between Aston Martin with the German have cooled down considerably and that there will probably be no deal. (Photo: Ferrari F1 Media)
- 12/10 Marko is eager to take over Honda engines: "Need a decision from the FIA"
- 12/10 Honda praises Verstappen: "He is able to achieve stable results"
- 12/10 Albon after DNF: "I wasn't very happy with my race"
- 12/10 Marko: "Had Vettel made a proposal, but he wanted to go to Aston Martin"
- 11/10 Verstappen happy with P2: 'Mercedes was too fast'.