Hamilton happy after tricky Saturday: "Managed to pick myself up"
By Robert McGillivray 01 August 2020 | 16:48
Lewis Hamilton got into shape just in time and he realizes it. Despite his pole position, his qualifying was not entirely flawless with a spin and consistently slower lap times than teammate Valtteri Bottas. In Q3, however, everything fell into place.
Bottas was the fastest in Q1 and Q2, but Hamilton struck in the third session with a 1.24.303, making him more than a second faster than Max Verstappen, who was in third place. "The gap was big, but it didn't really matter afterwards. Valtteri pushes me to the limit," Hamilton said after qualifying.
"The team did a fantastic job. We made some changes (prior to qualifying, red), but that didn't work out well. This track is great with that wind from the front and back," he continues.
At the start of Q2, the Brit went spinning at the exit of the Luffield corner. "Qualifying is about building confidence, it was really hard on the track," said the six-time world champion, who also mentioned that the spin put him down though. "I don't know how, but somehow I took a deep breath and picked myself up. Q3 wasn't perfect, but the first round was pretty clean. The second run went even better."
Bottas: "It went well until Q3"
Teammate Bottas is resigned to his second place. He was three tenths slower than Hamilton. "Qualifying went well until Q3. I was drifting more with the back. Hamilton found more time than I did and he did very well, a well-deserved pole". Nevertheless, the Finnish driver is disappointed. "We're going to see what went wrong".
Confidence for the race is there. "My long runs went well, so there are chances. Lewis also won from P2 last year with a different strategy. Everything's still open". (Photo: Mercedes AMG F1)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"