Mercedes: 'We continue to have problems with warm weather'
By Srihari HS 01 August 2020 | 11:12
After suggesting his team should not be too concerned about Red Bull's pace, Mercedes chief engineer Andrew Shovlin seems to be worried about the Austrian team's performance. In the long stints, Alexander Albon and Max Verstappen seem to be close to the Mercedes cars.
"It seems that other teams are adapting better to the heat. There is basically nothing wrong with our aerodynamic package. Both of our drivers, however, have problems with the tires overheating due to the weather," Shovlin said after free practice.
For years, the German has had problems with hot weather. It makes the car a lot harder to drive. Today it was a lot cooler at the Silverstone circuit.
Fear of Red Bull
Although it is difficult to determine how the teams are doing, Shovlin thinks that Mercedes does not have the dominant pace they had in Hungary. "You never know what the rest are doing on a Friday. But we fear for Red Bull, they are very close at the moment, especially the long stints." (Source: Mercedes AMG F1)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"