Leclerc fears "unpredictable" Ferrari: "It's difficult to not make mistakes"
By Tomas Mota 31 July 2020 | 20:53
Charles Leclerc is satisfied that he was able to finish his Friday with a best of fourth place. After the second free practice, the Monégasque indicates that his Ferrari is not very nice to drive. Leclerc fears that a mistake can be made easily.
In front of the cameras of the official channel of Formula 1, Leclerc talked about the state of his SF1000. "The balance of the car was very unpredictable and quite poor, it was difficult not to make mistakes. We have to change something tonight, otherwise it will be a huge task to drive well in the race."
Still, not everything is doom and gloom, says Leclerc. "We are currently having a lot of trouble with the race pace, but Ferrari seems to have reasonably maintained the speed for qualifying. It is better than we expected. This is due to a radical approach we took for the downforce, but this philosophy seems to work only for qualifying, for the time being."
Leclerc therefore does not want to give up hope for the weekend. "For today, the car seems to be doing better for the short runs, but that may be different tomorrow. We need to figure out what we can give up to improve speed before the race. Tomorrow the conditions will also be very different, that will also have an influence", said the Ferrari driver. (Photo: Ferrari F1 Media)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"