Renault confirms Alonso's return for 2021 season
By Adam Wills 08 July 2020 | 13:14
Since Daniel Ricciardo's departure from the French racing stable, it has been rumbling in the media for some time. The main question was who would Renault attract as a replacement for the departing Australian. It was not long before the rumors of Alonso's return came to light.
Alonso, who announced his departure from Formula 1 in 2018 after several dramatic seasons with McLaren, apparently sees and opportunity and a challenge with his former team. From 2021 the Asturian will be back on the asphalt in the yellow car.
Alonso returns to old employer
The Spaniard worked for Renault from 2003 to 2006 where he managed to win the world title twice. He then spent one year at McLaren before returning the French side for two more years. Then he made the bog move to Ferrari in 2010.
This will be the third period at Renault for the 39-year-old top driver. With the changes in the regulations from 2022, he hopes that Renault can change their course and give him a car that can win races.
Renault has to cough up salary
It is still unclear how much money Alonso will earn. Ricciardo left a gap in the budget of twenty million euros per year, which is likely to finance Alonso's arrival.
Aside from the fact that they will be bringing in a top driver, it is believed that Renault chose Alonso because he will give the car brand a lot of marketing power. (Photo: McLaren F1 Media)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"