Ecclestone: "I advised Vettel to tell the truth"
By Adam Wills 08 July 2020 | 11:40
Bernie Ecclestone is still in close contact with Sebastian Vettel. The two Formula 1 figures have gotten along well after the turmoil with Ferrari, and Ecclestone was the one who influenced the German driver to come clean about the dispute with Ferrari.
"I've been in touch with Sebastian lately. I advised him to tell the truth about the Ferrari split. That had to surface," the former Formula 1 boss tells F1-Insider.
In addition to bringing out the full truth, Ecclestone believes Vettel's actions were something that can be uplifting for him on a personal level: “It was also important to him. He is an extremely talented driver with a lot of willpower, but he is also sensitive and has been treated unfairly.”
Vettel's errors in Austria are common
Vettel did not make a very good impression on the Red Bull Ring. However, Ecclestone believes this is not related to the recent fallout with Ferrari: "That driver error has nothing to do with it, such an error can always happen."
"Lewis Hamilton, the other superstar on the track, didn't have a very good weekend either," Ecclestone concludes. The British Mercedes driver received two grid penalty's during the season opener. (Photo: Ferrari F1 Team)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"