Wolff hints at further development of DAS system
By Srihari HS 08 July 2020 | 10:25
Toto Wolff remains modest when it comes to talking about the DAS system. The Mercedes team boss thinks that the new piece of technology does not come close to other major technical changes the team brings to the track. According to Wolff, DAS will not make or break the Mercedes season.
“I think in F1 people are always interested in technical innovation and describing what seems to be a silver bullet, that could potentially be a game-changer,” Wolff told Autosport.
According to Wolff, the DAS system is not such a miracle cure. The performance of the cars is now so high that there can never be such a leap as with the introduction of the double diffuser, for example: “The last time I saw such a thing was the double diffuser, but since then it’s more about the marginal gains, adding performance parts, and in a similar way DAS is a great innovation.”
DAS awaits more development
The fact that Mercedes is the only one with the system is not enough for the Germans: “The DAS system adds a new dimension to the steering, and will hopefully over its development period add some performance.” (Photo: Mercedes AMG F1)
- 11:22 Steiner puts focus on Mercedes: "They gave data to Racing Point while that is not allowed"
- 11:13 Verstappen explains tire strategy: "That's why I wanted to go for the hardest option"
- 08/08 Update | Bottas disagrees with Wolff about Verstappen's strategy: "Good tire for the race"
- 08/08 Update | Verstappen after different strategy: "It will certainly not be bad tomorrow"
- 08/08 Hülkenberg describes feelings after a great P3 in qualifying as: "Madhouse!"