"Abiteboul has spoken to Bottas' manager"
By Tomas Mota 21 mei 2020 | 15:03
Valtteri Bottas is likely to be on Renault's list for 2021. The latest reports surrounding the future of the Finn suggest that Cyril Abiteboul may see him as the future spearhead of the French racing team.
"Cyril Abiteboul has spoken to Didier Coton, the manager of Bottas", Motorsport-Total reports. The German website has learned from sources that the French are weighing up several options, and the Mercedes driver is one of them.
Renault in trouble
Now that Daniel Ricciardo has signed a contract with McLaren from 2021, Renault has to resort to a new (number one) driver. Sebastian Vettel and Alonso have already been associated with the team, now Bottas is also on the list.
The reason Renault is looking for a bigger name is because Renault Sport has to persuade the board of the car group that participation in Formula 1 still has serious added value.
Renault is having a hard time. They have to close factories in France and the company has been offered state aid from the government. The Formula 1 project, which costs a fair amount of money, could be a part the car manufacturer could cut costs on. (Photo: Mercedes AMG F1)
- 01/06 FIA develops anti-cheating system for the new budget ceiling
- 01/06 Horner on Mercedes reluctance: "Hamilton's title chances in jeopardy if sprint races are introduced"
- 01/06 "I’m going to get hammered for this, but Vettel’s best year was 2019"
- 01/06 Kubica: "How smart is Verstappen remains to be seen when he gets close to a title"
- 01/06 Racing at Monza continues, contract extended to 2025