Italian media rumour: 'Mercedes bosses want Vettel next to Hamilton in 2021'
By Srihari HS 20 mei 2020 | 19:40
On Wednesday afternoon, wild rumours started circulating about Sebastian Vettel's possible switch to Mercedes. According to Italian media, the Daimler group, which owns Mercedes, would like to sign Sebastian Vettel for 2021. However, team boss Toto Wolff would be in the way.
Corriere Della Serra reports that the German team's owners are more than happy to have a compatriot alongside the reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton. The marketing image would be attractive, and Valtteri Bottas' contract also expires at the right time to bring in Vettel.
The news platform, which was also the first one to release information about Sainz's transfer, believes Wolff would disagree with the Daimler management. He would especially see problems in a collaboration between two world champions. Bottas working as the second driver behind Hamilton has worked well for the team in the last few years.
A stab in the back for Bottas and Russell
The idea would also be resisted because it undermines the Mercedes junior program. Wolff would like to push George Russell forward in the long term. The Austrian team boss would have to disappoint two team drivers to meet Daimler's wishes. (Photo: Mercedes AMG F1)
- 01/06 FIA develops anti-cheating system for the new budget ceiling
- 01/06 Horner on Mercedes reluctance: "Hamilton's title chances in jeopardy if sprint races are introduced"
- 01/06 "I’m going to get hammered for this, but Vettel’s best year was 2019"
- 01/06 Kubica: "How smart is Verstappen remains to be seen when he gets close to a title"
- 01/06 Racing at Monza continues, contract extended to 2025