Azerbaijan Grand Prix likely to be axed
By Srihari HS 22 maart 2020 | 19:10
Motorsport-total.com, a well-established Formula 1 news site, thinks the Azerbaijan Grand Prix will also be cancelled. The race in Baku is scheduled for June 7, but the cancellation idea seems to come too early for the time being.
If the race weekend in Azerbaijan is cancelled, and F1 season starts later than June 7, it would be a new record for the world’s top motorsport.
Postponing of European Football Championship led to new conversations
The coronavirus continues to spread rapidly throughout the world and has had a major impact on many sports. The 2020 European Football Championship has been postponed to 2021, which may have prompted the promoters of the Azerbaijani Grand Prix to go into urgent deliberation. Following those talks, which allegedly took place on Sunday, it has been decided not to continue the Grand Prix.
It is yet unclear whether this is a postponement of the Grand Prix or a cancellation. An official statement from the FOM and the organisers is still to come.
Previous opponents of Baku GP
The Azerbaijan Grand Prix has been slated for cancellation because of objections from the organisers. However, many other parties are involved in the Grand Prix, so unilateral cancellation is legally unfavourable.
- 11:20 Rosberg: 'Hope they will have races without an audience'
- 11:05 "Ferrari was against extended shutdown, F1 meetings continue this week"
- 09:45 Tost: "AlphaTauri is in a contractual situation that results in huge losses"
- 07/04 Canadian Grand Prix now the next suspended race due to coronavirus
- 07/04 F1 extends team shutdown by two weeks