"Vettel and Räikkonen were already on their flight back before official announcement"
By Thorsten Hendriks 13 March 2020 | 14:40
After the cancellation of the Australian Grand Prix, a lot of drivers and teams were heading for the airport. According to several sources two drivers headed home even before the official announcement: Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Räikkonen.
It is unclear if former Ferrari teammates knew more than the general public when they stepped onto their flight home, or if this could have been a gamble. The tweet below shows that the due was already airborne when the official statement was published.
Drivers would rather not be in Australia
Vettel said earlier that a few drivers had indicated that they rather not be in Australia due to the coronavirus. In hindsight their concenrs were unfounded: nothing happened on the Albert Park Street Circuit.
The Australian Grand Prix was cancelled even before the first practice session took place. No one had the chance to take to the tarmac and we are now awaiting if any future Grand Prix will get the go ahead. (Photo: Yahya S.)
- 12:57 These are the options if the qualification cannot continue on Saturday afternoon
- 12:45 Official: third free practice of Styrian Grand Prix postponed due to rainfall
- 10/07 Norris suffers from body complaints: "Big pain whilst braking"
- 10/07 Wolff: 'Compared to last week, Verstappen has more speed'
- 10/07 Update III | Norris responds: 'It was my fault'