Mercedes engineer admits: Ferrari better on all fronts
By Srihari HS 10 May 2018 | 09:18
After Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton said Ferrari has the best car this season, even the Silver Arrows' tech team admitted that Ferrari is the team to beat in 2018.
"We had the fastest car for years. We do not have that anymore," a Mercedes engineer told Auto Motor und Sport. "Even if the tires are in the optimum window, Ferrari has the faster package. On all circuits, in cold or warm weather, a lot or little wind. In some circumstances, the gap is slightly smaller, but in other cases the gap is big. At present, higher temperatures are helping us a little better," he added.
The quote about higher temperature is interesting because in the last season, Mercedes did well in cooler conditions and Ferrari performed better under warmer conditions. According to the engineer, the direction has now changed.
Lewis Hamilton knows that his lead in the driver’s standing is not a strong one. The Briton is only four points ahead of Sebastian Vettel. "It's nice to lead the World Championship, but we cannot depend on other’s mistakes or on luck in the coming seventeen races. We need a better car," the world champion insists. (Photo: Ferrari Media)
- 10:54 La Gazzetta dello Sport reveals details on Vettel's transfer to Aston Martin
- 09:49 Horner: "On average we're three to four-tenths behind Mercedes"
- 09:45 RTL Deutschland: Hülkenberg will drive for Racing Point this weekend
- 05/08 Ricciardo: "A lot of respect for how Verstappen has grown"
- 05/08 Update II | Decision on Racing Point expected on Friday